[at-l] Low tech/light weight rain gear

Hi all,

I've convinced myself that my gortex parka (23 oz) is overkill for summer
hiking.  I've been thinking about two alternatives:

(1) use a coated nylon parka (14 oz in a large/tall size)
(2) use a poncho and a microfiber jacket.  The poncho would also
    replace the small tarp I carry for use with my bivy sack.

The weight of both solutions is about the same.

My goals are (in order):

(1) Hypothermia protection
(2) Light weight
(3) Comfort in as wide a range of conditions as possible

I don't care about getting wet while I'm hiking, I just care about staying
warm.  Since I hike fairly "warm" this isn't usually a problem in the
summer. In camp, though, I'd rather stay dry.  I feel very secure about the
ability of the coated nylon parka to keep me warm and to keep the rain off
in camp, but realize I'll end up soaked in sweat if I wear it while
exercising.  On the other hand, the poncho/microfiber jacket combination
would be less reliable in camp (the poncho would typically be rigged as a
tarp), but the jacket would good by itself in windy or cool conditions.

I'm looking for feedback from folks who have tried similar things (or from
anyone else, for that matter).

Thanks!

-- Jim Mayer