Re: [at-l] Low tech/light weight rain gear

Hi Jim,

I agree with you about the G-Tex, but not just for summer. Based upon my
experience it isn't my inclement weather gear of choice any time of the
year. Too heavy, it does not breathe when it is raining. (higher humidiy
outside means that you are wet and sweaty inside). I don't use the stuff
at all for hiking. It is a product of excellent marketing hype though.

Concerning your option number 2, a poncho and a microfiber jacket.
I tried this early in my thru-hike. I got hypothermia. The microfiber
didn't do much for insulation or shed much water after a few hours,
and it is very difficult to keep a poncho on in side-ways rain.

Right now, I'm using option number one, a high quality taped and sealed
lightweight nylon jacket. I also use a poncho as small tarp, and I'll
keep using it until I can get my hands on a piece of tyvek to try out
for
that purpose.

Good hiking...

All The Way