Re: [at-l] Solophile's personal hangup

MManzano@aol.com wrote:

> I think the guys who are addressing Fireball are not even aware that they're
> ignoring Solophile, and it's probably totally unintentional.  It's the same
> thing that made a lot of middle-aged men give orders to my dog instead of
> allowing me to control him.  Example, when we were at a shelter area Smoky
> would bark when someone approached.  This is what he's "paid" to do, and the
> only "work" expected of him - to alert his owner when someone approaches our
> "home".  If there was a man over 40 at the shelter he would invariably say
> something like "It's ok Smoky, don't bark" and yell to the incoming hiker
> "It's ok, he's friendly".  Where was I when this was happening?  Usually
> smouldering.  I never spoke up because I realized they didn't have a clue
> that they were stepping into my territory, and because I didn't want to alter
> the friendly atmosphere at shelters.  I know I would have hurt someone's
> feelings if I said what I'd like to have said, and they were all such
> genuinely nice guys I just let it ride.  (I'm certainly not always that nice
> in my "other" life, however :~)))))

Hmmmm.  Maybe you should have spoken up to clear the air.  This doesn't
seem like an age issue or gender issue but rather a dog issue. If I'm
approaching a shelter and a dog is barking at me, I am very grateful if
someone (even if it's not the owner) seems to have some control over the
dog barking and lets me know that the dog is friendly.  If it's the
owner's "territory" (and I agree that it is), then the owner should be
there to step in first so that others don't have to do the job. :-)
BTW, I am a dog owner (and a middle-aged man, and I think that dogs on
the trail are great--if kept under control by their owner.  Anyone else
have ideas on "dog etiquette" on the AT?  And does it make sense to
allow horses on the trail in the Great Smoky Ntl. Park but not dogs?
Double Hmmmm.

Quid Pro Quo