[at-l] Re: Preparation (Thru hikers and shelters)

> Steve Coombs wrote:

> > Pox Populi wrote:

> >It seems to me that the only people who would have a "greater need"

> >for the use of a shelter are: 1) total nuggets who don't know how

> >to pack, 2) fools who, for whatever reason, simply assume that that

> >they'll get the shelter and pack accordingly, or 3) scary-looking

> >tattooed people who have their gear stolen at the trailhead.

> >With the exception of number 3, I don't think they deserve a

> >special claim even then, if for no other reason than to smarten

> >them up a bit.

>    I can think of situations where somebody might have a "greater need" for

> a shelter that would cause me to give up my space in a shelter. It hasn't

> happened yet but if somebody arrived sick, hurt, or mentally at the end of

> their rope I would give them my spot. I could handle it and somebody in that

> position would need kindness more than judgement.

Genuine hardship cases? Sure. People expecting that "wiffle life"

extends to the trail? Hell, no.

>                                                    Any hiker -

> thru,section,or day- could be in that position. It could be because of poor

> planning or chance. As a trail community we need to take care of everybody,

> even fools and total nuggets.

I'd rather treat people like adults; not like children or the
delinquents that too often pass for adults today. Although it
is getting to be less of the case with each passing year, the
trail is still a place where one is more-or-less entirely
responsible for their safety and well-being. It is a corollary
of the freedom of the trail. Not only can you "hike your own
hike," but you are also have to learn to take care of yourself.

A wet, sleepless night teaches a cheap lesson that may return
large dividends in the future, and not necessarily on the trail.
I've learned some lessons that way myself.

That being said, it matters not to me whether anyone goes out
of their way for hikers either nuggetious or presumptive. I may
have a high standard for giving assistance, but if you get your
jollies that way, or if you think it might be Jesus testing
you, fine. However, the concept of a babysitting "trail community"
goes against everything for which I take to the trail.

Hike your own hike,

--
mfuller@somtel.com, Northern Franklin County, Maine
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt. }>:-/> --->