[at-l] Re: Preparation (Thru hikers and shelters)

Pox Populi wrote:

>It seems to me that the only people who would have a "greater need"
>for the use of a shelter are: 1) total nuggets who don't know how
>to pack, 2) fools who, for whatever reason, simply assume that that
>they'll get the shelter and pack accordingly, or 3) scary-looking
>tattooed people who have their gear stolen at the trailhead.
>
>With the exception of number 3, I don't think they deserve a
>special claim even then, if for no other reason than to smarten
>them up a bit.

   I can think of situations where somebody might have a "greater need" for
a shelter that would cause me to give up my space in a shelter. It hasn't
happened yet but if somebody arrived sick, hurt, or mentally at the end of
their rope I would give them my spot. I could handle it and somebody in that
position would need kindness more than judgement. Any hiker -
thru,section,or day- could be in that position. It could be because of poor
planning or chance. As a trail community we need to take care of everybody,
even fools and total nuggets.

                                             Lucky Star
                                          GA 89 > ME 21st century