[at-l] TICK-BORNE DISEASES

These are exerpts from an article in the HEALTH column of  USA WEEKEND.
We all know about Lyme disease, but this stuff is new to us , so we
thought  this information should be passed on to all of you.
"THREE NEW TICK-BORNE DISEASES LURK OUTDOORS.
Lyme disease gets headlines, but these illnesses are more dangerous--and
spreading.  (Article by  Michele Turk )
The threat varies by region, but anyone who enjoys the outdoors
should be aware of the risk.  HGE and other new tick-borne diseases
aren't as widespread as Lyme disease, which has stricken 70,000
Americans, but are more dangerous because they can be fatal if not
treated immediately.  Another species of the bacterium that causes HGE
has resulted in  450 cases of HME  and another  disease called babesiosis
has stricken 250 Americans.
These are not yet recognized as diseases that should be reported to
authorities, so researchers think dozens of cases have gone unreported.
The new maladies' Lyme-like symptons (high fever, chills, headache,
muscle pain, fatigue) tend to be more severe and develop sooner.
TO REDUCE YOUR RISK:
Just because you get a tick bite doesn't mean you're going to get ill.
If a tick is removed immediately, there's only a slight chance of disease
( it takes 24-48 hours to infect a human).  To remove a tick: Grasp its
mouthparts with tweezers as close to skin as possible, and pull the
entire tick out slowly and steadily.
THE DISEASE MIGRATION:
Tick-borne diseases are spreading as the deer population grows and
formerly wooded areas become more densely populated.  Cases of Lyme
disease are clustered in the Northeast and upper Midwest, home of the
deer tick-the same tick that hosts babeiosis and HGE-and the spread of
HGE seems to be following a similar geographical pattern.  Babesiosis is
still found primarily in coastal cities in New England and New York.
Most cases of HME, transmitted by the Lone Star tich, are in the South.
-------LYME, HGE, HME,  BABESIOSIS:
           Connecticut, New York.
-------LYME, HGE,  BABESIOSIS:
             California, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Rhode Island
-------LYME, HGE:
            Wisconsin
-------LYME, HME:
             Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia
-------HME:
             Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana,
Mississippi, Missouri,  North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina,
Tennessee, Texas.

TO LEARN MORE, CALL THE LYME DISEASE FOUNDATION:
1-800-886-LYME    "

End of article.

I wish to restate I am NOT an expert or fully knowledgeable on this or
any other health subject, but feel strongly that all of us be as fully
informed as possible.  We had a few hikers as guests last year who
were delayed due a bout with Lyme disease, and a couple of others who had
to leave the trail and resume this year.  A recent AT guest , when shown
this article, urged us to pass on the information,  SO
are happy to do so.  We want all you AT hikers reaching us safe and
healthy!
Take Care and God Bless
Ilene & Paul Trainor
Pine Ellis B&B and hostel, P.O. Box 12,  Andover, Maine
tel:207-392-4161
e-mail:  pine.ellis@juno.com