Re: [at-l] Section Hiking

----------
> From: Gas@aol.com
> To: bogey1@worldlynx.net
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Section Hiking & Bobcats & whip-poor-wills
> Date: Sunday, June 15, 1997 11:48 AM

> If I may, "we section-hikers" are also "thru-hikers."  Some thru-hikers
hike
> the AT in one very long 1200+ mile section, and I admire and envy them.
>  Those of us who hike smaller sections have our own goals and dreams and
> difficulties.  I admire anyone who takes on the AT regardless of how much
or
> how little they hike.

Thank You...............sometimes after two weeks I feel like I've hiked
around the world.  Never thought of myself as a thru-hiker. Still have a
hard time calling myself one.  I do not think I could stay out there for
six months, maybe so, don't know.  I guess I'll never have to think about
that as jobs are too necessary for our survival and the survival of our
family.
      I overheard a thru-hiker telling someone on the phone that section
hiking is "the way" to go.  He said that you get to choose the seasons and
see much more.   We have seen so much in the ten years we've been on the
trail i.e. the laurel blooming,  the rhodendron, flame azaleas, dutchman's
breeches, Indian pipes, rose of Sharon, dwarf iris,  trillium, oyster
plant,  snakes, lizards, bobcats, snowy owls, screech owls, hawk
migrations, newts, efts, south bounders, north bounders, Warren Doyle,
blueberries, turning leaves, snow cones made from snow and Tang and, and,
and................I treasure these experiences.

Today north of Tom's Run Shelter in PA I walked up on a juvenile red fox.
He didn't hear me approach as he was sniffing the trail and digging and
eating what he found.  I stood 20 ft from him watching for five minutes.
He would look at me every now and again but I stood absolutely still.  He
ambled away from me and, with his back to me, I followed for 20 steps or
so.   When I stepped on a dry leaf  he heard it and took off into the
forest.

June is the month of making fat (Sioux calendar) and I am.
SLIM   Soon I'll be "Not-so-Slim"  :->