[at-l] 90's Thru-hike

I find it interesting to compare reading Colin Fletcher's "The man who
walked thru time" to the journals being written by the Thru-hikers of
today. NOT having done a thru-hike and before being involved in this list
my concept of a thru-hike was having days and even weeks of solitude.
Thoughts of "would if" and "could I" and "What ifs" crossed my mind about
where I would sleep and would I have food to eat or would it be possible to
live of the land? Berries..etc. In reading the journals Thru-hiking has
just kept up with the times of our society. Its all so very modern. Its
what you give it and what you expect out of it that makes it "HIke your own
Hike". It sounds easy, it looks easy (so many opportunities to get off the
trail and regroup) but I'm sure the reason  the Gatherings are a somber
experience is because it truly was the hardest thing the Thru-hikers have
done. It truly seems like an enormous accomplishment to be proud of! I
applaud each and every one that does it. It seems close to a miracle to
hike the AT.
Skylar