[at-l] USGS topographic maps (CDT)

Ginny O. wrote:

> To do it right you need over 300 USGS topo maps - we can't afford that,
> either financially or to carry all that weight, so a lot of the planning is
> done on forest service maps - which aren't topographic.

How about the relatively new 1:100,000 scale 30x60 minute series
USGS maps? They should provide the detail and accuracy you need
and cut down the number of required maps considerably.

Unfortunately, they don't have 100% coverage in topographic form
yet.

http://nsdi.usgs.gov/nsdi/products/quadrangle.html

If you want to look at maps for planning purposes, some college
libraries have decent collections of USGS quads. They're more
likely to have the older 15 minute series, too.

The USGS is currently working on publishing 60x60 minute raster
topographic maps (simultaneous coverage in three scales) on
CD-ROM for $32 bucks a pop. They may be out before you start.

--
mfuller@somtel.com, Northern Franklin County, Maine
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt. }>:-/> --->