Re: [at-l] First AT steps.

Mine was Standing Indian Mountain, the summer of 1990, in July.

But here's how I learned about the AT:

In the summer of 1974 I was in summer school at Appalachian State
University.  The Appalachian Trail Conference, or some group affiliated with
the AT in some fashion, was holding a summer conference there.  I saw all of
these happy, smiling people wandering over the campus, and every last one of
them had on hiking boots.

Now hiking boots at ASU is no big deal.  But to see that many people, mostly
retired, striding over campus, always smiling,  looking like they'd found
something special: now that was intriguing.  I inquired about them and heard
about the AT for the first time in my life.  I guess it was all over at that
point.  Lots of stuff intervened between then and 1990 when I actually
started hiking, but I can still see their faces!

Lynn

http://www.hack.net/lists *