Re: [at-l] Re: Take Back the Trails

Just a suggestion -- when you go out to hike this weekend,  tie a purple
ribbon to the outside of your packs.  Purple is the color that signifies
Victim/Survivor support and is used in all the Take Back The Night Marches
and Victim rights rallies (I've been organizing such events for 6 years
now).  No, wearing the purple ribbon won't bring them back or really change
anything, but it does get people asking questions...and that's when the
education can begin.

Have a great hike!
Poohbear

At 12:00 PM 5/22/97 -0400, Diana ^(raven)^ wrote:
>> In rememberance of Lollie Winans and Julianne Williams who were murdered on
>> the AT in Shenandoah National Park last Memorial Day weekend, the Women's
>> Professional Group of the Association for Experiential Education is
>> sponsoring "Take Back the Trails".  The idea is for as many women as
>> possible to hit the trail (any trail) sometime during this Memorial Day
>> weekend (May 23-26) to raise awareness of safety issues in the outdoors,
>> and to take a stand against violence against women.
>
>Sorry for the x-posting, but...
>
>Is anyone interested in getting together to do this? I wanted to do an
>all-day hike on saturday or sunday in a highly visible place* (in dc, md
>or northern va) on fairly easy terrain (maybe c&o canal??).
>
>please contact me if you are interested.
>
>--
>Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
>http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven
>The Appalachian Trail 1998 * Georgia -> Maine
>glittery-goth-hiking-phreeks
>
>*highly visible place: because i want everyone to know what i am doing
>and why.
http://www.hack.net/lists *

Jennifer Delia Sawyer	|	"Be the best you can be
Hall Director		|	in the place that you are;
Department of Residential Life	|	and be kind.
University of New Hampshire	|	Kind to yourself,
Durham, NH  03824		|	Kind to others and
(603) 862-3812		|	Kind to the land."
jdsawyer@hopper.unh.edu	|		-- Helen Neering