Re: [at-l] VT/NH on Memorial Day

I can tell you what it's like in northern VT right now (I live near
Burlington):

Rainy.  The leaves are just starting to come out.  No bugs yet.  Really,
I'm still waiting for spring.

We hiked last weekend on the Long Trail up near Snowbowl (near
Middlebury).  It was early springish/late winterish -- there was some
snow falling on and off while we hiked, with up to 4' drifts we weren't
always able to walk across.  We had to wear Gore-Tex and gloves, and
hats for awhile, and took a 10 minute lunch because it was too cold to
stop.  Our boots were quickly soaked and our feet got pretty wet --
excellent hypothemia weather, all-in-all.  No leaves at all up there yet
(this was at about 2500-3000') -- just buds, barely.  Lots of moose
scat.

The Long Trail from Camel's Hump to Mt. Mansfield doesn't open until
Memorial Day, to preserve the trail during mud season (April/May).

David