Re: [at-l] Boiling water and moth balls!

> I have read and now can't remember where that none of the known
> micromonster can live at temperatures above +170F. Can one of our
> resident microbiologist confirm or correct this?

I read in the rec.backcountry FAQ that there is some research to
indicate that spore producing critters like Giardia can survive
up to 30 minutes in boiling water.  I have no idea if this is
accurate (maybe just propaganda from filter makers).  I've used
both filtering and boiling on different trips and never had a
problem.

                             -Tom