Re: [at-l] day hike suggestions

Carrie Dunning wrote:

> My friend and I are going on a road trip at the end of May. She's not a
> backpacker, so we'd like to car camp and do day hikes- maybe I can con her
> into one overnight. We'll be in the DC area, and I'd love suggestions for
> day hikes or overnight loops in Virginia or anywhere else somewhat close.
> Is Shenandoah NP really crowded?

SNP can be crowded during the summer if you choose to stay at a
campground. In fact, it's very crowded (lots of RV's and screaming kids
- yay!).

If you choose to venture into the backcountry to hike and tent, you may
not ever see another soul. I've done a few loops seeing anywhere from 0
to 4 people in a 2-day trip. E-mail me if you want more info on loop
hikes (about 10 miles each).

I'd stay away from AT shelters during this season because they'll most
likely be filled with thru-hikers who'd appreciate the space.

--
Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven