[at-l] Re: ??? How do I re-fluff my [synthetic fill] bag ????

Restoring the loft of an old synthetic-fill sleeping bag to its
former glory is problematic.

Much of the loft in a new synthetic-fill bag is due to the little
curls in the individual fibers of the fill material.  Over time, the
curls relax (much like a perm), and once they're gone, they're
gone forever, along with the loft. This is the primary reason why
a well-maintained down bag has a longer useful lifespan than a
comparable synthetic-fill bag -- down is able to hold its loft
longer.

As far as blowing out baffles is concerned, yes it's possible,
but not likely with a _dry_ bag.  A _wet_ bag, that's another
story.  Caution is called for when handling a wet bag, unless
it's a down bag, in which case _extreme_ caution must be exercised.
The baffle that was made to cope with a couple ounces of
dry fill has to deal with what seems like tons of force when
the fill is wet.

BTW, I prefer running shoes to tennis balls :-)

jim