Re: [at-l] An argument for a light pack

>-- [ From: Kurtis Kirsch * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --
>
>While I applaud your advocacy for a light pack, what's the hurry?  Does
>more miles a day mean more hiking enjoyment?  If we paved the trail, and
>grade it at not more than a 10 degree rise or fall, just think of the miles
>we could do!  Yes, I'm obnoxious, but I don't hike "pyramids."  I hike
>mountain trails with boots, but I hike as light as I feel is possible.  I
>love hiking, and sometimes I even semi-jog down gentler downhills, however
>I only do it when I feel like it, not to do more miles in a day.  If your
>thing is to hike as many miles as you can a day, then your pyramid sceme
>may work.  A thru-hiker from last year constently carried a 55 to 60 lb
>pack, and  hiked a totally pure hike, except for a forced 70 mile slackpack,
>when the pack was stolen in PA.  She says it was the worst part of her
>hike.
>
>I think that you and Ray Jardine have every right to hike your own hike,
>and to express your views on hiking, however, I feel it's a bit
>condesending of ray to characterize his hike as the top of the pyramid, my
>hike in the middle of the pyramid, and my thru-hiker friend at the bottom
>of the pyramid.  If someone enjoys their hike, then they are on top of the
>world in my book!
>
>have fun,
>
>Kurt
>kurt.kirsch@internetmci.com

woohooo!  right on!  exactamente! and well said!
being rather new to the ld hiking scene, i was very impressed by
everyone's attitude of "hike your own hike".  that was until someone
posted _their_ hike journals with a decent mileage (i also missed the
original post, but the number is unnecessary), i find it rather
paradoxical that people question his motives for doing so.  i guess i'm a
BIG fan of humility, so whenever someone says something like "your doing
that wrong" i generally take offense (i'm talking about matters of
opinion, of course if it's pointing out a genuine error, like tying a
figure eight knot wrong, such that it will come out and the climber will
subsequently die, then it should still be done with an air of humility,
but that is good).  in things such as hiking, i personally believe that
you can do anything you want so long as it doesn't detract from my
experience (going out and dying would detract from my experience, as
would spending all night in the shelter whining about how heavy you pack
was, and how much you wish you were not there).  so what i'm trying to
say, is hike your own hike, AND let them hike theirs.

later

nater

ps. 10 days!

--
life is what happens when you are making other plans, or in my case,
not making plans.

Cc:            at list <at-l@saffron.hack.net>
From:          "Milt Webb, IQ Software" <milt@iqsc.com>
Date:          Sat, 22 Mar 1997 07:08:40 -0500 (EST)
Subject:       Re: [at-l] waterbags

SO I broke down and got a big dromedary water bag but now am so confused
... filter the water into the bag, don't filter, filter, don't filter.
Hey, I blew it up with air and it makes a neat pillow...will sleep on this
topic for a while and get back to you ;-)

-Milt