Re: [at-l] Re: contaminated cup, the beasties live

'Twas said (by Frank):

<<<Has anyone tried
solid calcium hypochlorite (swimming-pool chlorinator) for making
disinfectant solution as needed for cleaning dishes, laundry or bathing?  A
35mm film can of it should make several gallons.>>>

The calcium hypochlorite is, according to the local homebrew guru, not a true
disinfectant, but merely a cleanser.  I'd stick to the bleach (as I do for my
beer bottles and brewing stuff) for disinfectant.  In making homebrew (Scooby
Brew:), I use the hypochlorite to dissolve any solid chemical or organic
nasties (such as yeast residue, etc.) and follow with a bleach soak to kill
the wee beasties.

On a related note, has anyone perfected the dehydrated or freeze-dried ale
recipe?  I'd like to bring along a bit o' the good stuff, but alas, in its
fully hydrated form, it's a bit too heavy (not to mention the skunk factor --
no "born-on dates" for this kid).

Later,
Scooby (Chris)
Boulder