Re: [at-l] Re: contaminated cup, the beasties live

Hiya all..
On the degree of paranoia regarding giardia and other beasties..
I'm wondering if those who pooh pooh other's concerns about this
matter have ever contracted giradiasis.  I have not, personally,
but have witnessed the effects on my sister.  Both before diagnosis
and after..(the cure can be pretty rough) she was a _very_ sick_
women.  This stuff is definetly a hike stopper or at least a
considerable delay.  She swears she contracted it when she fell on
her face during a stream crossing.  I can believe that since I know
how fastidious she is about such matters.
I, on the other hand, spend hundreds of hours a year with my face in
the North Branch of the Susquehanna, and have done same for the last
twenty years, as an avid fresh water snorkeler.  Anyone who snorkels
knows you are exposed to a million times more untreated water in a
single day than there would remain in a 'dipper cup'.  Yet I have never
been sick as a result, at least not to my knowledge.  I'll risk giardia
to snorkel (and hyperthermia..or is that hypo..which everone involves
core temp. loss) but...I either treat, boil or filter any water source..
Go figure..Kahley