RE: [at-l] WhisperLite

----------

>There are two "WhisperLite" stoves... the "WhisperLite Shaker Jet"
>and the
>"WhisperLite Internationale 600".  Both have a shaker jet... the
>difference
>is that the "Internationale" can burn jet fuel, auto gas, and
>kerosene.

>I haven't hiked the AT, but folks seem to say that white gas
>(Coleman fuel)
>is readily available.  Everyone I know of burns white gas in the
>Internationale... It's biggest advantage (in the USA, anyhow) is
>probably
>the ability to burn auto gas (unleaded) in a pinch.

>Question: has anyone actually burned something other than white >gas
in a
>WhisperLite Internationale stove?

Yes, I spent three weeks camping in Australia last July. I could not
find the Aussie equivalent of Coleman fuel so I used unleaded gas. A
little dirtier, heat was about the same or only slightly less. At one
fuel stop (I filled the stove bottle every time we filled the car),
the attendant argued with me that you could not use gasoline for a
stove, it would blow up. He gave me a detailed explanation of how the
vapors would come up the tube to the burner, mix in the flame, and
cause an explosion (That is what he said, I have a witness).  I
assured him there was a check valve (had to say something) and he
proceeded to fill the stove bottle and car, with leaded gas (I should
have been watching more careful) . They sell both out of the same
pump. Leaded gas burns very, very dirty and gums up the jet in about 8
or 10 minutes to the point the stove won't work. With unleaded, stove
works fine.