[at-l] Gypsy spotted..

I was out doing some heavy (read: chainsawing) trail maintenance on the AT on
Saturday and Sunday.  During the course of my travels, I ran into Gypsy, as
well as about 18 other thru-hikers.  Gypsy sends her greetings to the list.
Says she misses the list, but is having a great time on the trail.  She was in
great spirits.

From conversations with some of the thru-hikers, the short section from Mooney
Gap up to Bear Pen Gap, USFS 83, NC has a lot of blowdowns.  I'll contact the
Nantahala Hiking Club and inform them.  Crews of volunteers for the Smoky
Mountains Hiking Club were out in the Smokies this weekend clearing the AT,
including me and two others.  Our crew cleared from Fork Ridge Trail junction
to Newfound Gap.  There must have been close to 25 or 30 blowdowns in that 4
mile stretch.  Seems to get worse every winter.  And this was a mild winter
with relatively little snowfall.

Only met 3 thru-hikers in the Smokies on Sunday - Jzero, who hiked the AT in
93, his younger brother, and a 50ish man who said that he was a trail
maintainer for the Finger Lakes Trail in NY.  Didn't get his name.  All seemed
to have a great attitude about being on the trail.

For what its worth, I met another Curious George (Dan), who is behind Jason -
Curious George who is sending his journal entries to Wingfoot for posting on
ATML and TrailPlace.