[at-l] Re: compasses

Two people noted the value of a compass for getting reoriented in bad
weather.  I agree!  For general outdoor use I like the Silva-type compass
with rotating degree-scale and rectangular plastic base.  It's a bit large
and heavy for a very long hike, and you don't need a precision instrument
just to determine north.  The tiny watchband compass is just fine for that;
a similar device is available along with a thermometer in a small "zipper
pull."  The toy "rubber tire" compasses available from K-mart for about $1
are fully serviceable if you waterproof them with a bit of glue.  Note:
Exposure to direct sunlight will cause fluid-filled compasses to develop
bubbles or leaks.

 --  Frank     reid@indiana.edu