[at-l] ref: Lekis

 Interesting discussion. Hello all. I thought I would throw in my 2 cents
here.I have been hiking for a long time. I try to keep things as simple as I
can for hiking. Today while I was getting in my 10 mile hike in the new snow
with my high tech snow goggles, water proof high tech clothes and boots I
thought about your comments.
   If hiking poles float you boat than go for it. I preferred a more low
tech approach to this. The device I use is all natural biodegradable, cost
zero bucks and is almost indestructible. Its an ash wood hiking staff I made
years ago from a tree in the back yard. Its about shoulder high and about
1.5 inches in diameter. It can withstand over 200 pounds, won't rust, bust
or collect dust, requires no maintenance. It can be used as a tool as well
has an aid to hiking. Crossing ice and snow its nice to have a trailblazer
in front that can test the ice before I step on it. It has several hundred
mile logged on it. Numerous mountain summits including the words Mt
Washington that I carved into it after climbing the granite giant. It has
become an old trusted friend that I never hike without. River crossing aide,
tent pole, ice pole, clothes line, poker, prodder, dog protector, third hand
extended arm, noiseless all round natures own hiking tool... the stick.
Can't get much better than that.
   I have noticed more an more people lately using the high tech approach.
The only difference is the users seem to be younger and younger. I find this
a bit ironic since I thought only us old timers used such a device. Amazing
how a 10,000 year old tool is over looked until it becomes an expensive high
tech catalog item. To each his own.
Happy trails and good hiking form New Hampshire.

    Signed
      Washington Stick