Re: [at-l] ref: Lekis

-- [ From: Kurtis Kirsch * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

To the list,
	I've seen a lot of mail on the Lelki Poles.  I would like to add a few
comments and opinions. Twice now I have been taking a break while doing a
hike,  once at a shelter reading the register and once at a place called
Claudis Smiths Rock, a beautiful over look.  Both times I was alone and
enjoying the spirit and serenity of my hike.  When all of a sudden I heard
an unnatural sound in the woods, this sound kept coming closer and getting
louder all the time.  It was a very annoying sound and formed a certain
rythem that destroyed any serenity and peace,  not only for me but also to
the animals in the general location.  After I would estimate 3-4 minutes a
hiker came into few with these hiking sticks/ski poles.
         I have no Idea if the hikers using these poles realize the
distance that the sound travels or how the continuing unnatural noise takes
away from others Idea of the outdoors.
         Now I guess these poles are made from aluminum and hit and bang
off the rocks on the trail.  A solution would be to possibly make them out
of wood or Bamboo. Therefor the sound would be muffled and all person could
gain the benefit of the poles and not take away from others outdoor
experiences.

Strider

As a person that uses two hiking staffs (Tracks), I agree that the rhythmic
sound of metal banging against rock, can, indeed be annoying.  The metal
tips on my staffs have screw-on rubber tips that make my staffs practically
noiseless.  Although, when I hike during hunting season, the rubber tips
come off to announce myself, in advance, to those who are trying to kill
Bambi.

But what about the other "unnatural noises" that are heard along the trail:

1)  Let's reroute all air traffic around the AT.

2)  Build long and deep tunnels under the AT, so that all the roads that
cross or parallel the trail can be demolished.

3)  Limit the access points to the AT, so that all outdoor gear can be
checked before anyone gets to the AT for "unnatural noises," such as,
squeaky backpacks, any electronic equipment that could possibly make a
noise (like radios, computer equipment, gps's, beapers, cell phones, . . .
. ), any clothes that could make swishing noises (hike naked and barefoot),
lighters and matches, UMBRELLA's (especially the self-opening types),
anything with zippers, space blankets, and . . . .

There are always going to be "unnatural noises" along the AT, and, I am not
going to take a vow of silence, so that I can hike the trail.  I will
always try to be considerate of others, but there are times I'm so happy
while hiking, that I will burst out in song.  I have had to learn that
sometimes what other people do on the trail is going to annoy me, and that
they have every right to do so.

This trail is my trail.
This trail is your trail,
from Springer Mountain,
to old Katahdin,
from Grayson highlands,
to the Sterling Forest.
This trail was made for you and me!

To accept other people's annoying qualities was hard thing for me to learn,
and I sometimes need to re-learn, but I have found that if I try to accept
people for who and what they are, that my level of happiness increases.
The AT is not a place where you should expect to be alone, away from
"unnatural noises."   With that said, loosen up, those noisy sticks could
be in the hands of the prettiest woman or handsomest man that you have ever
seen, and you may not even known that she/he was passing you, if it wasn't
for those noisy sticks!

have fun,

Kurt kurt.kirsch@internetmci.com