[at-l] THIS LIST

I just have to say that it is the oddest feeling to finally be in
communication with people who not only know what the AT is, but have intimate
knowledge of it.  For many many years I have been telling people that I was
planning to hike the AT.  "The What?" they would ask.  "The Appalachian
Trail" I would clarify.  They would respond "Oh wow, that's really cool.  How
long does that take???  A couple of weeks???"

You all who have hiked this trail are celebrities to me.  I first decided I
was going to hike this hike when I was eleven.  I am now 25.  I've read
nearly everything ever published about the AT, and was an 'armchair expert'
back in my teens.  But to finally be doing it myself. . .   WOW!!!   I'm sure
that everyone heading out for the first time this year (Or the next, or the
next) feels the same way. . .unbearable anticipation (no matter how old you
are, or how long you've known that YOU someday were going to DO IT).  In any
case, I guess I am saying that I am very grateful to this list because it has
taken an abstract thing and made it very tangible.  I love all the
discussions (even the flames) because it is proof of the passion that we all
share for hiking.  Good luck to everyone hiking this year (and future years).
 I hope to meet up with lots of you OUT THERE!!
-Jenn