[at-l] Re: at-l socks

Walt asked

> I need some advice on socks. I currently wear two pair of cotton socks
> but am not sure this will be a good idea on a long hike since they take
> so long to dry. I am confused on what types or brand names to get. Does
> REI or Campmor sell some I can order through their catalogs?

There is a lot to be said for getting away from cotton socks.

Here's what I have been wearing with good results for a couple of
years:
	Walmart Acrylic rag socks.

They dry quickly and are thick enough to absorb some of the pounding
that feet get on a trail.  I usually wear 2 pairs at once, and have
boots that are big enough to accomodate them.

I'm not sure how long they would last for a thru-hiker, but they do
fine for week-long section hikes.

 They work for me, although they may not be right for  a real Gear
Head.

Bob