[at-l] Re: One worry, one concern

> I hope you don't hope to depend on an umbrella for rain protection,
> it will last about two days before being ripped to shreds while hiking.

Have you actually TRIED using an umbrella on the trail? Please tell me about
your experiences with it and the problems you had using it.

I don't mean to jump on you personally, but I'm amazed at how many people seem
to make blanket statements about how WRONG things are that they have never
actually tried. I'm sure happy Grandma Gatewood never subscribed to this list!

More and more thru-hikers seem to be using umbrellas on both the PCT and AT, as
well as for other long thru-hikes. They all seem to have lived through the
experience. I recently received E-mail from someone who had just hiked the Long
Trail and was raving about how great his umbrella worked. He never used any
other type of rain gear during his hike.

They are certainly not a new idea for backpacking. I've used mine many times
while hiking and both the umbrella and myself have managed to survive these
experiences. If you know how to use one you can even use it in very high winds
without destroying it. I've used mine to keep dry and protected from the chill
in 30 to 40 mph winds.

Michael Connick
GA->ME on the Appalachian Trail in 98!

E-mail: Michael_Connick@clrmnt.com