Re: [at-l] Bears on the AT

  The first Black Bear I encountered on the AT was near the AMC camp in NJ,
Just before I got to Mohican Road... Very nice bear encounter, "snuffed my
general direction, allowed pictures then ambled off... Saw five or six
others further north (NH & ME) only from afar 500+ feet and more.

  Yeah I did see the ones at the Zoo also...

   gots to go skiing,,,, bye,,,

At 06:30 PM 2/15/97 est, Jim Loudon wrote:
>Interesting.
>
>The only time I've ever seen bear on the AT (apart from the captive bears
>in the bear pit at Bear Mountain State Park)  was in Shennandoah NP.
>
>I've never seen bear in my home state of Pennsylvania...
>
>When I was making regular trips to the Adirondacks, it wasn't unusual
>to run into folks whose food supply had been swiped by bears.  The
>closest I ever got to an Adirondack bear was a pile of droppings on the
>north side of Giant :-)
>
>jim

    Dick & Lyn  Wix     (Where's Spring; Rochester, MN)
                 aka  "WIXeR"  AT-94  GA->ME
                       wixer@sparc.isl.net
       We'll get there,,,, when we get there.!!" - obscure