[at-l] more ranting (then I'll get off my soapbox

One more thing that troubles me,  all of this internet material about
hiking certainly has good intent, but it is only serving to get more and
more unprepared people onto the Trail.  The Trail really doesn't need
this type of advertising.  My greatest fear is that the Trail is going
to be devalued b/c of the floods of people now starting.  Keith Shaw
said to me this summer that he has NEVER seen so many s'bounders come
through Monson.  (He counted several hundred)  The Trail is such a
wonderful gift to us all, and we must do everything in our power to
preserve it for the next generation !!

  And about this next generation (people call us X)  We have to realize
that it is mostly us that are damaging the relationships with
townspeople.  I've met far too many x'ers that have terrible attitudes,
which is usually manifested the moment they get to a town.  A good deal
of hikers that I know of expect to recieve accolades from townfolk who
are trying to earn a living in some depressed areas.  The attitude of
"I'm sooo cool, I HIKED THIRTY MILES TODAY !!"  really has no place in
the woods.  (Yet another thing most of us are trying to escape)

TO ALL OF THE CLASS OF 1997:   The Trail is a very personal place, it
will change you for the better if you let it, but be wary of destroying
other's rights to hike it in the future.