Re: [at-l] more ranting (then I'll get off my soapbox

Patrick O'Meara wrote:

> One more thing that troubles me,  all of this internet material about
> hiking certainly has good intent, but it is only serving to get more and
> more unprepared people onto the Trail.  The Trail really doesn't need
> this type of advertising.  My greatest fear is that the Trail is going
> to be devalued b/c of the floods of people now starting.

I have a *huge* problem with this statement. I only started backpacking
about 2.5 years ago. I had heard of the AT, but I never really knew
anything indepth about it. Through the Internet, I read people's
journals, I saw pictures on-line, I viewed maps, and I became part of an
internet "family" that supports the Trail and its hikers. I have truly
been inspired. Are you saying I don't value the trail as much as someone
else because I found out about it thru the internet? Or that I won't be
as good a thru-hiker because I used a resource that millions of other
people use?

And so what if more people start? Only TEN PERCENT of the people who
start actually finish! I think alot of people, if they found about it
thru the internet or not, have the romantic notion that it will be a fun
and wonderful adventure, everyday filled with bliss. I don't have this
expectation. I know it will hurt, I will have days where I want to go
home, and days where I will be bored out of my mind screaming "I hate
these goddamn rocks!!!!!" I think I am prepared. :)

> The Trail is such a
> wonderful gift to us all, and we must do everything in our power to
> preserve it for the next generation !!

This is true! The trail belongs to EVERYONE, not just an elite group of
past and present thru-hikers. I have worked my ass off contributing to
the trail: clearing water tables, hauling away rocks and logs that have
fallen onto the AT. I *am* preserving it for others to use. I plan to
repeat my trail help thru organized crews and donations to organizations
like the ATC and the PATC.

>   And about this next generation (people call us X)  We have to realize
> that it is mostly us that are damaging the relationships with
> townspeople.  I've met far too many x'ers that have terrible attitudes,

I am technically part of this "genX" group. Am I apathetic? I don't
think so. Do I act like an ass? I sure hope not. Do I expect things from
people that I don't know for no good reason? Hell no. I think this is a
very big blanket statement you are making here. Yes, I'm an almost
25-year old gothed-out female, I have piercings, I have purple hair, I
have tattoos. But I am also courteous and kind (I think), and actually
give a shit about the world and the AT.

> TO ALL OF THE CLASS OF 1997:   The Trail is a very personal place, it
> will change you for the better if you let it, but be wary of destroying
> other's rights to hike it in the future.

This is true: what someone does on the trail this year may affect my
trip next year. But that has been true since the first thru-hiker made
his way down the AT from one end to the other.

I don't mean this as a personal slam, but I don't think you should base
someone's sincerity on where they learned about the AT. If someone wants
to try it out, that is their business and their right. Trust me, the
trail will always be there. Humans, maybe not. :)

Thank you very much.

(dismounts from soapbox and disappears into the woods)

--
Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven