[at-l] Re: Filter Integrity

Solophile,

   I called PUR yesterday, talked with a Tech.Rep. about any field method of
testing filters (esp PUR). Food
coloring, or the First Need supplied solutions do not qualify a filter. The
Rep. said if I sent in the filter it could be tested at the Manufacturer.
Over all, he told me, in the case of PUR, when the pumping gets difficult
and a field cleaning doesn't help,replace the cartridge. Also he noted, keep
a rough track of how much you've used the filter; if in doubt, save yourself
time, grief and money just replace the cartridge. He also reiterated that
using a pre-prefilter of sorts, his suggestion was using a paper coffee
filter over the inlet "acorn". Southern AT waters have a lot of fine silt
that causes early failure. Allowing the water to settle helps, even a few
folds of bandana help. I use an "in-line" First Need 10 micron prefilter,
they seem to be good for about
15 - 20 Liters. I carry a couple spares, they can be "back-washed", but I've
found it easier for me to replace them when the intake lines start to collapse.

At 10:03 AM 2/5/97 EST, rdubois@VNET.IBM.COM wrote:
>I believe a question was asked this past week regarding water
>filter cartridges and how you can tell when the filter has
>been compromised and is no longer filtering as it should.
>I thought I had heard before that some people test their
>filters by trying to filter water colored with a few drops
>of food dye.  If the color shows up in your filtered water,
>the cartridge or filter is not functioning correctly.  If you
>get clear water out, then your cartridge should be good.
>
>Is this a valid test?  Do all manufacturers approve of this
>method of testing, or is it just some specific brands or models
>that can be tested this way?  What size of micron filtrations is
>required to eliminate dye?  Seems like a pretty simple technique to me.
>
>Rachel
>"Solophile"  GA-->ME  '97
>http://www.webcom.com/markham/at-hike

    Dick & Lyn  Wix     (Where's Spring; Rochester, MN)
                 aka  "WIXeR"  AT-94  GA->ME
                       wixer@sparc.isl.net
       We'll get there,,,, when we get there.!!" - obscure