RE: [at-l] film on disk

DP.....

> So what about Slide scanners?  I haven't priced yet, but the Nikon
> CoolScan is probably about that, maybe a little bit more.  Shoot
> standard slide film, and do your own scanning.

I can't speak directly to slide scanners because I haven't tried
any.  I can talk a bit about flat bed scanners and I believe that
they both use the same technology for the scan.

Right now I have 3 flat bed scanners,  one belongs to me and
the others are brand new state of the art HP's ( for a project for
HP). All of the new scanners have reasonable scan rates 600 to
1200 DPI (Dots per Inch) and more with interpolation. As a
comparison, computer screen resolution is 72 DPI and most
printers are 300 to 600 DPI. These scans are excellent for flyers,
newsletter, web sites, or even printing out at 8x11 on a color printer.
Most flat bed scanners can be upgraded with a transparency scan
add on.  The transparency upgrade can cost as much as the
original scanner.

I still would not use the $1000 or less units for scanning images
for quality publication.  Plus if you spend $500 to a $1000 on a
scanner you need to scan a lot of images to cover the cost. Scanning
pictures is ok but remember you loose some from the negative
to the print and you will loose more in the scan.

Do you need to go for professional scanning? No, it just that if
I'm going to do a hike of a lifetime, I'd want the images to be done
the best possible.  Remember you'll be reviewing the pictures
for years to come.  Plus I would expect them to be passed down
to children and grandchildren.

This didn't answer your question, but I hope it helped.

Ron Moak