[at-l] Greyhound goes all the way to Gainesville.

You can get to Gainesville GA via the 'Hound! (The Grey-Hound, that is). I
did it last year at the start of my hike, and as I recall it wasn't much more
than the fare to Atlanta. From there you can hitch to Amicalola or grab a cab
in town. I would recommend you go by the train station to try to find someone
to split the fare with you as it is pretty pricey, or just ask any of the
number of folks you're likely to see walking around town with a pack.  I know
you have to go to Atlanta first though, even if you are coming from the
North, but you definately can get closer than Atlanta (at least as of April
of 96).

Good Luck.

Horus