Re: [at-l] long distance hiking with young teenagers

At 10:57 AM 12/31/96, Diana L. Cascioli wrote:

>Also consider at that age, she is still growing. It might not be such a
>good idea to take on such a rigorous hike while she is still that young.
>
>I personally think that 17 is a better age. She will graduate from high
>school, be a bit more focused, and will be about to start on a huge part
>of her life (college). If she wants to do it then, I think the two of you
>will be much happier. :)

I agree. Our daughter is 15 and son 12. We are doing sections of the AT as
well as other long trails in Central PA  and are very happy that they enjoy
it. Laurie would never admit it but I think she realizes what an
accomplishment  it is for her to walk so many miles with everything she
need on her back. She enjoys putting her own tent up as well. Occasionally
a friend of hers joins us and that makes it better.

However, to take so much time away from school, friends, and other
activities may be a lot to ask  a kid of that age. As adults, we have been
there, done that, and can more easily focus on just doing one thing for
several months. Section hiking may be the answer for awhile.

Deb G.

Deborah S. Grove, Ph.D.
Manager, Nucleic Acid Facility
210 Wartik Laboratory