Release of Murderer

Read in the newspaper today that the guy who murdered the couple from Maine
in '81 at Wapiti shelter near Dismal Creek is going to be released near
Pearisburg, VA soon (if not already).  I was 2 weeks ahead of the Maine
Couple when I thru-hiked in '81.

        What's the story on this guy only getting a 15 year sentence?  The
paper said that he did a plea bargain just before the trial started.  I have
never heard of anyone getting a 15 year concurrent sentence.  I understand
he was allowed to plea to manslaughter.  What Judge in his right mind would
ever accept such a plea agreement and were the victim's families consulted
prior to the plea I wonder.

David Severance