Re: [AT-L] Scouting ?!

On Sat, 21 Sep 1996, Sandra Downs wrote:

> Hi, folks -
>
> Attended my first Girl Scout training session today. I hooked up with 'em to

> I was concerned when the leaders whipped out bow saws and showed us how to
> use 'em. "Isn't that against leave no trace ethics?" asked I...their reply

I was in the Boy Scouts for a while, and realized recently at an ADK
(Adirondak Mts Club) leadership training seminar, that the scouts have a
long tradition of this sort of thing.  Remember that there is a lot of
history and tradition to their 'standard procedures.'  I think there is a
lot still left over from the 1950's, when 'campcraft' was a big thing.
There are still (or were last I checked) merit badges for making
furniture out of trees and contests for that type of thing.  I think they
are starting to change, but I think it will take an entire shift in
general attitude just as it did for hikers.  With such a big and old
organization, I think it will take longer.

jeff
Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany -                 Telecommunications Department-
Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies                  "IP Slave"

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."