Re:Knee problems/back problems

Sarah, the Hamburglar wrote:

Hello all,
>well, I'm back yet again. I'm in the middle of a southbound hike and had to
>get off for a week once before due to knee problems. Now I have managed to
>tweak my ciatic nerve, and am resting at home again. My partner is going
>solo for awhile, which is VERY depressing for both of us. Anyway, once more
>I'm happy to answer questions about southbounding/knee problems. I noticed
>that both have been topics of conversation. My knee problems went away with
>a combination of time off, motrin, knee braces, and Leki poles. Also- I'm
>soliciting any info on the relationship between packs and pinched nerves. I
>can't find anyone who knows about this problem. I carried my pack with no
>back problems for 500 miles, but then it suddenly began to put pressure on
>a nerve in my lower back. Now the pack constantly irritates that area, even
>after much time off, and a new pack. Any suggestions? I'm hoping to get out
>of here and back where I belong. Thanks,

I was almost going to say, "physician, heal thyself" until your explanation.
I have knee problems too, but have solved them by 1)riding my bike
extensively, 2)squats with weights, 3) Aleve 4) knee braces, 5) Leki's.

As far as your back goes, I've never had a pinched nerve, but I have
strained a muscle which attaches to the hip and attaches in the back
somewhere. Chiropractor told me it was the psoaz (sp?) muscle. Strained it
by lifting and then twisting my back. Chiro gave me some exercises which
cured the thing after awhile. I basically lay on my back and pull my knee
and leg to my chest and hold it for 15 to 20 seconds. Alternate each leg and
do several sets. That is the Rx for my problem. Don't try it without a
diagnosis from a Dr. or a Chiro. Good luck and congrats on your hike so far.
Hang in there!

Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com