Re: [AT-L] Southbound

hey y'all.
no, I don't think you're nuts. my friend (aka a_large_ jelly_ donut)
thought it would be better to hike southbound. It's more appropriate for
starting in June, and it skips the crowd. I don't have many experiences
to compare, but I've heard that AT is too crowded. An acquaintance even
said that I might have a better time on the PCT. either that, or take off
for Alaska.
	I think I was working on the assumption that "less is more." Less
people ~ more experience. But with so many people visiting places like
the AT, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc, how can the experience be found?
Sometimes I feel like "rationing" visits to our parks and trails. Then
times I say, "but only after *I've* hiked through." Then I shut up. But
does the fact that so many people share a "solitary" pleasure bother anyone
else but selfish me? Does it detract from the value of the experience?
	Just wondering. ALF

P.S.: 1)what are pros/cons of southbound/northbound
2) does anyone wear gas-perm contacts on the trail? Is that stupid? 8*}