RE: Snakes, et.al.

In message Fri, 6 Sep 1996 20:24:24 -0500 (CDT),
  "Robert J. Davis" <athiker@smithville.net>  writes:

> for some reason when I get into my sleeping bag I
> become scared to death that a snke is going to crawl in through the
> night. I've even woke up screaming.(woke up?) Fortunately I do my hiking
> from Sept-Feb.
>
> Felix

I read a story (fiction, I think) about a cowboy sleeping on the range who
awoke to see the tail of a huge rattlesnake sticking out of the top of his
blanket.  He didn't dare startle the snake, so he laid there quietly until
the sun made the bedding so hot that the snake couldn't stand it and crawled
out.

--  Frank     reid@indiana.edu

Everybody shake a snake, glory halleluyah!
Love one another or the snake'll sock it to ya.
They're weeding out the hypocrites, the heathens and the fakes;
Say, you might fool your brother but you don't fool a snake!
          -- Pinkard and Bowden, _Writers in Disguise_ album.