> splitting you between the two
> realities, is as unnecesary and
> distracting as the computer and
> telephone are.  I love the trail
> reality - the simplicity, the serenity,
> the fact that it is life at its most
> basic - why screw up a good thing?
> Ginny "Spirit Walker" Owen

How do you feel when you see someone else wearing a walkman? Angry? Upset?
Enough of an intrusion for you to ask that person to put it away? Or turn it
off?

All things I have seen with phones, pagers, and computers.

What you say rings true for me as well, but my curiosity is in regard to the
strong reaction of others to presence of these items. I socratically argued
for the sake of learning, "What if it enhances my hike?". I haven't heard
anyone ever make this argument. There could be a 100% agreement that the only
time someone brings these devices into the woods, it is because they must.

Jim raised an excellent question. What were the experiences of those hikers
who decided to try and bring a computer on a hike?

I haven't noticed any responses yet.

You raise a another excellent point. Every decision we make regarding what we
take with us on the trail (in life?) affects our perception. It isn't limited
to cameras or other "technology", which clothing, how much, tent no tent,
whether your stove or filter drives you to distraction will impact on your
hike.

For me, bringing the right stuff has made and broken my hikes. The best thing
would probably be to bring nothing.

If gear selection wasn't complicated enough, this will defnitely push it over
the top :)

Has your choice of taking a camera ever caused someone to ask you to put it
away? Reagrdless of the personal impact both positive and negative.

Daniel

Daniel Berlinger                      Circumstance Technology
http://www.circumtech.com/                Virtuality Designer
    Linkwright  Data Poet  Systems Anarchist  Idiosyncrat
Interactivist    Herder of Cats    Zero Tolerance For Silence