Electronics on the Trail

I guess I don't mind phones on the AT. A fellow hiking with my group in the
Smokies this past winter had one. Since we were hiking in sub zero weather,
he took it along in case we had an emergency. He used it once to call his
wife and let her know we were okay.

Now, of course if everyone had a phone, and they were always ringing and
people were always talking on them, I guess I would be bothered, since
that's why I hit the woods, to get away from that type of stuff. As long as
people are considerate, I have no problem. Same thing with GPS. If someone
wants to bring one, more power to them, although I don't know why someone
would want one on the AT. And computers... if they want to lug them,
wonderful. I wouldn't, but that's my hike.

Like someone else said here on the list, technology is everywhere in all of
our equipment. No escaping it, unless you go into the woods in a survivalist
mode and I don't think that would be much fun, at least for me. Euell
Gibbons died young!

Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com