Re: Boots again!

Peter H. Fornof writes:

> >Hey all!
> >        I was just wondering about what everyone here does for boot
> >maintenance, *besides*  for waterproofing.  Actually, what's better in your
> >opinion - Nikwax, Biwell or SnoSeal?  I've got Asolo Cygnus boots (Nubuck)
> >and have been using Nikwax, but I've been wondering how long it's going to
> >keep them protected using such a THIN layer.  It's probably just me, but
> >I've been thinking about using Biwell instead.  Hmmm....

I used to use SnoSeal years ago, but switched to BiWell which doesn't
need to be heated.  Never used Nikwax.  I expect they all work pretty well.

> I posted this previously, but the clerk at the outfitter recommended that I
> use 3 coats of Nikwax, then a coat of BiWell. Seems to be working well. I
> have Asolo Pinnacles. The clerk told me that the manufacturers rep told him
> that this was the recommended treatment regimene.

As I mentioned previously (can't remember if it was on the list or
privately), I've never heard of putting 4 coats on.  I thought it
sounded like overkill, unless there's something about those particular
boots that requires it. Area stores agreed with me when I asked.
Anyway, One coat of BiWell works fine for me.

> >Also, I noticed when waterproofing them that after I let them dry, there was
> >a little bit of rust on the hooks and eyelets.  Called up the store and he
> >told me it was just from the minerals in the water and said once I got
> >outdoors in the real conditions that the mud and dirt would protect them
> >from rusting.  Sounds a little funny to me.......would you say he's right?

Sounds more than a little funny to me.  Who's to say you will always
encounter mud and dirt in the first place?  It goes against any
recommendations I've ever seen (not to mention my wife's
recommendations when I get home (:)).  I would guess that as long as
they are wet and exposed to air (mud means wet) the metal can rust.

> Without fail, I clean the mud off my boots when I get back. Mud will split
> the leather and sometimes separate the upper from the welt or sole. I"ve
> seen this happen. Clean the mud off and let your boots air dry.

I would add that one shouldn't be tempted to quick-dry boots by a fire
or oven, as it will ruin the leather.

Dick

Richard Hihn			Phone:(518) 584-5000 (x2609)
Department of Music
Skidmore College
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866	Email:rhihn@bart.skidmore.edu

End of network mail