Re: Boots again!

>Hey all!
>        I was just wondering about what everyone here does for boot
>maintenance, *besides*  for waterproofing.  Actually, what's better in your
>opinion - Nikwax, Biwell or SnoSeal?  I've got Asolo Cygnus boots (Nubuck)
>and have been using Nikwax, but I've been wondering how long it's going to
>keep them protected using such a THIN layer.  It's probably just me, but
>I've been thinking about using Biwell instead.  Hmmm....

I posted this previously, but the clerk at the outfitter recommended that I
use 3 coats of Nikwax, then a coat of BiWell. Seems to be working well. I
have Asolo Pinnacles. The clerk told me that the manufacturers rep told him
that this was the recommended treatment regimene.

>Also, I noticed when waterproofing them that after I let them dry, there was
>a little bit of rust on the hooks and eyelets.  Called up the store and he
>told me it was just from the minerals in the water and said once I got
>outdoors in the real conditions that the mud and dirt would protect them
>from rusting.  Sounds a little funny to me.......would you say he's right?
>Since he said that I've wanted to leave the mud on my boots after I get back
>home, lest the metal should rust, but have started thinking lately that it
>probably would in fact be better for the leather (for breathability) to
>clean the mud off.  Do you all clean your boots off after getting back

Without fail, I clean the mud off my boots when I get back. Mud will split
the leather and sometimes separate the upper from the welt or sole. I"ve
seen this happen. Clean the mud off and let your boots air dry.

Pete Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com