Re: recipes

On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, David Hicks wrote:
> You wrote:
> >i am wondering about chicken.  in a couple of the recipes they have 'freeze
> >dried chicken' in the ingredients.  can chicken also be dehydrated?
> I have done it and lived to talk about it.  I cut into strips about 1/4 inch thick.
> Cook in broth.  Then dehydrate.

	Thanks Dave. I'll have to try that. I usually carry a little can
of chicken (like the tuna cans) for recipes needing it. I have also
carried a whole frozen chicken before (in wintertime with a group -- had
some great meals plus soup)
> You wrote:
> >seems to me that to save on time and fuel you could rehydrate in a water
> >bottle during the day while hiking.  would this work??
> Don't know.  Never been willing to risk spoilage.

	This works if you put it into an insulated environ -- i.e.
stuffed inside your down vest & in the center of your pack. Just don't
forget to take it out that night (I had to contend with fermented beef
stroganoff exploding into my down bag after I left it for a couple days
while in town).
	Pat