Re: Weather in the Whites

Well, we can't change the weather, and I guess all this fuss about the
Whites in July shows that we can't predict it too well either.  Which is
exactly what my point was in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Whites...but the weather in the summer is
unpredictable and downright dangerous if a hiker isn't prepared with
sufficient clothing.  And mother nature doesn't discriminate between
thru-hikers and weekenders.

By now we have all heard of the misfortune of the 5 victims of this
weekend's avalanche on Washington.  True, it is only March, but a story
of two hikers two summers ago sticks in my mind.  They were a father/son
duo day-hiking Mt. Washington wearing windpants & wind jackets.  Both
were found dead (hypothermia) the next day.  The ranger station at the
Hermit Lake Shelters displays a large bronze plaque witht he names of
the over 100 people who have died on Washington.  Talk about a chilling
experience.

So, hike your own hike, but do it wisely.  Warm clothes are well worth
the weight.

Poohbear