A few more Newbie questions

Sorry if I'd asked this before, but do I  need the data book?  What about
maps?  Someone told me to take Wingfoot's book and that it is relatively
impossible to get REALLY lost.  Any advice?

Also, how much pack weight should I count on budgeting for a camera?  I want
quality slides, but figure an SLR is out of the question because of the
weight.  I have a Nikon8008 that is a behemoth and am looking for something
good, though not neccesarily a professional camera.  Weight, obviously, is a
concern.  What did all you veterans carry with you?