Re: Help a GA>ME first timer!

> >     Same goes for boots.
>
> If you're carrying Tevas or running shoes, they're your backup to get you
> to town.
>
> My boots fell apart in Vermont.  I was carrying Shoe Goo at the time cause
> I was told they might not make it to Hanover.  So I spent a night waiting for
> the glue to dry so I could get to Sherburne Pass and hitch in to Hanover to
> get a new pair.   The new pair, by the way was my fourth pair of boots on
> the Trail.

     What boots did you use? Hope they're not Raichle Spirits! (what I'm
     using). I'm hoping to use just 2 pairs. Also, is Shoo Goo the
     best emergency bonder to bring along? I've heard something called
     'Barge Cement' recommended.

> >     *Tennis shoes vs. Tevas!  The debate rages.  (Presuming I can only
> >choose one.)Any comments?

     I'm bringing a pair of Thinsulate moccasins I found at REI for $16.
     They weigh about 17oz, 6oz less than my $10 imitation Tevas.
     They're meant only for town and campwear, Tevas and sneakers would
     be better emergency shoes but I'm hoping a bonder would keep my boots
     intact long enough to reach a road.

> >     *After weather warms, what should I keep in the event of a cold spell?
>
> I kept a pair of lightweight thermals and a fleece pullover through the
> mid-Atlantic states.  It gets cool in the mountains at night - even in
> midsummer.   It can get down in the 40's in June in the Shenandoah.

      It can even hit the 30s. I'm just keeping lightweight top and bottom
      polypro, wind/rainpants, and a shell and light sweater or jacket,
      plus liners and a light hat after Damascus or Pearisburg.

      BTW - I went backpacking in Shenendoah last Memorial Day weekend.
      On Sunday the DAYTIME temps were in the mid-40's, raining hard,
      and windchills were down in the teens in exposed areas. We were
      underprepared and had to keep moving to stay warm. Happily,
      Skyland was nearby.

> >    * What's the concensus on a tent?  I keep hearing about people that made
> >it with a tarp, one guy who even sent his home and just hiked on to the next
> >shelter if he found a full one.  The weight sure would be nice, but NO
> >TENT?!?!

      DEFINITELY bring alternative shelter. I will be bringing a rather
      heavy tent by thruhiker standards (about 7 lbs) but it's my
      'luxury' item. I like it, room enough for me and my pack
      (or another person if necessary), and I can set it up quickly
      by myself. You need not go this far, if you can get by on a
      tarp strung between trees that's fine, but bring some alternitive
      to shelters that you can live with. They fill up quite a bit.
      What did the guy above do if the next shelter was 10 or 12 miles away?
      And what if IT was full?

      And I DO plan to use the tent alot. I'll frequently stay in
      shelter areas but sleep in the tent somewhere nearby. But when
      I do stay in a shelter on a rainy day that has space I'm not
      giving it up when it's full and a new arrivial is crying
      for a space because they don't carry an alternative. And they're
      not borrowing my tent either.

> >     *Gaitors.  Need 'em?

     I'm not bringing them. I would think you wouldn't use them often.

     One question of my own, under what conditions is it safe to NOT
     hang food from a tree? Or is it safe to keep in your tent with you
     (if ever)? Etc.

						       --- Ron K ---