Re: yet another request

if you wouldn't mind checking out my list you can email me off the list (to
>avoid clutter)...
>thank you in advance.  the advice from experienced thru-hikers is so
>valuable...the rest of us really appreciate it.
>alisa
>pooombah@aol.com
>
>and since everyone else has cool quotes, i'll add mine.....
>
>             The marvelous richness of human experience
>             would lose something of rewarding joy if there
>             were no limitations to overcome.  The hilltop
>             hour would not be half so wonderful if there
>             were no dark valleys to traverse.
>                                   --from Hellen Keller's 'My Religion'

Alisa -

Smart!!  And I like your quote.

Yes, both Ginny and I will look at your list if you want us to.  We won't tell
you what to take or not, but we will tell you what we did and you can take
it from there.  One thing to keep in mind is that everyone has a different
tolerance for pain and discomfort, so you have to make your own decisions
about what level of comfort you need on the Trail.

Anyway, Ginny's email address is gfrost@amsdc.mhs.compuserve.com
I just talked to her a little while ago and she said OK.   It's probably better
if we look at it separately - that way you'll get a better set of inputs.
Incidentally, Ginny has thruhiked the AT twice (88/92).   If you have
specific questions for a female thruhiker, I'm sure she'd be happy to
 help you.  (She already said she would!).

I'm not sure you were on the list when I posted this a month or so ago,
so I'm including the list of what was in my pack when we got to Katahdin
Stream campground.  If you find it useful - cool.  If not, nobody's
lost anything.  One caveat - this was MY pack. You'll carry what you
want/need and it may not be the same.

Walk softly,
Jim Owen

>Funny - I got curious this weekend, too. Loaded my pack as closely as
>possible with what's on my list - it was 32# (without food and water). As
>Ginny said - we have to cut that by at least 5# for the CDT.

>I'm gonna add some comments to this thing - they'll be the ones in
>brackets {{...}}. And a few more comments that I'll put at the end. Anyway
>- for what it's worth - here it is :

Pack contents at Katahdin Stream Campground - 23 Sept 1992

> [...]

>a Goretex parka in the south}} , wallet (ziploc), Lexan spoon,
>wool/poly hat, *REI Jungle Juice insect repellent {{carried this all the
>way - it wasn't necessary for us except for NJ thru Mass}} , *gaiters {{I
>only used these a couple times - some people used them every day}},
>Kool-aid (ziploc)

>Left lower pocket - Pack cover

>Left upper pocket - 1 quart Nalgene bottle, 1 gal ziploc bag (garbage)

>Right lower pocket - 40 foot parachute cord, 3 gallon water bag,
>REI mini-headlite

>Right upper pocket - MSR water filter, personal washcloth (1 pt ziploc),
>toothbrush and tooth powder (ziploc)

>Top - Eureka Cirrus 2 tent, HD poly ground cloth , Thermarest pad & stuff
>sack {{used a Ridgerest in the South - changed at Harpers Ferry}},
>2 - 36" straps

>Bottom - Sleeping bag, stuff sack, plastic garbage bag, 2 - 36" straps

>Inside - food bags, fuel bottle, wind screen, fleece jacket {{carried and
>used this all the way}}
>- Large trash bag, wind pants, paperback book - 1 qt ziploc, Data Book,
>ball point pen, maps, maildrop schedule, writing paper
>- small trash bag, 3 pr Thorlo Trekker socks , 1 handkerchief,
>wool shirt, 1 pr nylon shorts, 1 pr thermal
>bottoms, 1 lt wt thermal long sleeve top, 1 mid-wt. thermal long sleeve top
>- 1 gal HD ziploc, *2 oz bottle liquid soap, candle {{rarely carried
>one}}, pot scrubber (ziploc), MSR stove (1 qt HD ziploc), butane lighter,
>1.5 qt pot {{no lid}}
>- 2 x 3 ziploc, stove repair tools, spare stove jet, *needle and thread,
>repair tape {{2-3 ft}}, nail clippers, small stone
>from Springer {{tradition - leave on Katahdin}}, clevis pin & ring, 2
>Efferdent tablets {{for cleaning the water filter}}
>- 2 x 3 ziploc, 2 exposed film
>- Spare ziplocs - 1 gal, 1 qt, 1 pt.
>- 2 cans beer, 1 sm bottle champagne, 2 small pies, 2 Coke {{CELEBRATION
>TIME !!!}}

>Food bag -     1 Liptons dinner, 1/4# dressing, 3 candy bars, 1/2
># cookies, 1/4 # sugar, 4 instant oatmeal, allspice, 1 instant soup, 6 tea
>bags, 1 hot chocolate, 1 Koolaid, dried milk, 2 rolls, small can Spam

>Wallet contents - Drivers license, VISA {{mine doubles as an ATM card}},
>medical card, ATC membership card {{paid for itself in the Whites}},
>money, Phone book{{very small}}
>Blister kit - scissors, moleskin, Second skin First Aid kit - 2 moleskin,
>3 Bandaids, *triple antibiotic {{single use foil pack - never used it}},
>4" Ace, 2" Ace, 12 allergy tablets, 30 Tylenol, 6 Pepto Bismol tablets

>Belt pouch - camera, 2 film, 2 oz SPF 15 sun screen, 2 oz skin
>moisturizer, glasses, can opener, toothpick, ball point pen, iodine
>tablets, 4 hard candy, lighter, small knife, ziploc

>Hiking clothes - Vasque Sundowner boots, nylon shorts, polypro
>short-sleeved shirt, handkerchief, socks

>This list I is what I had at Katahdin. I wasn't so smart when I started.
OK - a couple other comments on things I did right/wrong -