When to start

George,

I've not done a through hike yet, but I live in Atlanta, Georgia and have seen a
few folks start off.

If you leave on March 1 you can probably count on cold weather through the
smokies.  Probably no snow till you get to the SMNP.

You'll be ahead of most of the through hikers, but there will be others with
you.

Don't be too quick to get away from the crowds.  I've had the pleasure of a
several week long hikes along the Georgia - North Carolina stretch in early
spring, and traveling with the potential through hikers is a blast.

It seeems that most through hikers start from mid March through mid April.

Regards,

Frank O'Shaughnessy