[at-l] Post Gathering questions

On Oct 13, 2005, at 11:33 AM, Gary Ticknor wrote:

> I respectfully disagree. I stayed dry last weekend. I don't think
> you are necessarily doomed to wetness (well, maybe sometimes...).
> Don't set up on flat ground that shows signs of past puddles. Vent
> your single wall tent - or get a design that is vented. I have
> never had it rain in my tent (yet). I AM careful to mop up any
> condensation in the morning before getting dressed.

I'm talking about serious frog-choking rain.  Biblical rain.  Washing
away structures rain.  Which, unfortunately, I have been camped out
in more than once.    Ventilation really doesn't help much when the
air is full of water.  And when water is bouncing 6-12 inches off the
ground, your tent needs to be pretty dang waterproof to keep it from
getting in.

I remember one night I was in a shelter due to the aforementioned
frog-choking rain.  I was a good eight feet from the entrance.  I
spent some time watching the rain mist floating over my head.  Neat,
but wet.

>> For me, I find the best bet is a hammock.  I hang it high enough
>> that  the splashes don't soak the bottom, but hopefully low enough
>> that the  wind doesn't make a kite out of it.  I put an oversized
>> tarp on it,  which helps.  I hang bags of rocks from the corners
>> which helps with  the kite phenomenon.  And I use Jacks'R'Better's
>> excellent tyvek-type  weather shield which keeps the damp and the
>> wind off the body  section.  It's kept me dryer in sincerely bad
>> weather than tents have.
>>

> This adds up to a lot more than my 2#2oz tent, I think!

Well, I haven't weighed it recently, but I don't think it comes out
to that much more.  The tyvek doohickey is very lightweight.  And the
oversized tarp isn't a monster.  Regardless, I'm willing to carry a
few more ounces when it comes to my sleeping comfort.  :)  The more
ultralight among us probably think I'm nuts for carrying a
thermarest.  Which I use inside the hammock, btw.

-amy