[at-l] Gas Prices-effect on Hiking Plans

At 09:47 PM 9/1/2005 -0400, Dawg wrote:

>I know I am going to be burned in effigy for this, but has anyone thought
>that maybe this should not be rebuilt? This is a flood plain for one of the
>largest lakes in the U.S. (half the size of Rhode Island) and one of the
>largest and most swift rivers in the world. I truly feel for these people
>that have lost EVERYTHING. This is terrible terrible.But this was a disaster
>waiting to happen. You can only hold mother nature back for so long before
>it busts loose. And when it decided to bust loose, no canal or flood wall is
>going to help in any way.

Dennis Hastert (speaker of the house) said
the same thing today and it's not going over well.
But he may well be right.  First off, everyone's
going or gone, and there's nothing to come
home to... and we know that it wasn't the
smartest place to put a big city, was it?

But hey, I'm safe in Boston, and have no
stake in it -- except that this is my country,
and my country now has a very serious
refugee problem, to the tune of 500,000
to 1.5 million people or so -- in NO alone.

One EPA official said something like,
"the US GNP isn't big enough" to clean
up the toxic soup that's just swamped NO.

It's really freaking tragic.  It dwarfs 9/11,
and the sad thing is it's self-inflicted.  The
city survived Katrina -- but a human
design, neglected through politics, failed
in its function and appears to have left
thousands dead and millions homeless.
It boggles the mind.

rafe b
aka terrapin